zondag 5 september 2010

Jeff Beck Emotion&Commotion

Time for some assorted candy, isn't it? Well, here it is: Jeff Beck. 'Oh my god, you don't really like this, do you?' Well, I do, and Downbeat gave this cd four and a half stars, so I'm definitely not the only jazz freak who digs this.
I admit: some of this stuff is on the verge of sentimentalism. But this is candy, as I told you. The opener, Corpus Christ Carol by Benjamin Britten (!), Over the Rainbow (yes, that one!) and Elegy for Dunkirk (from the film Atonement) are the musical equivalent of sweet pies with loads of cream on top of it. My god, I like it! But the most sugared piece of candy is beyond doubt track number 8, Nessun Dorma, yes indeed, the aria by good old Giacomo Puccini. But this is not Luciano Pavarotti singing, this is Jeff Beck on electric guitar! And believe me, this track makes me laugh and brings me to tears at the same time. Now how much music is there that makes your flesh creep? Bravo for Jeff Beck!
The guy invented instrumental rock, remember? Mostly with covers. I've only recently discovered that Cause we've Ended as Lovers, his signature track on his most famous record Blow by Blow, is actually a Stevie Wonder piece.
Beck wrote only two of the ten tracks here, and they are both excellent. His keyboard man Jason Rebello wrote some stuff, with the powerful There's no other me standing out. This track reminds me of Massive Attack, and is sung by Joss Stone, who sounds like a young Tina Turner here. Stone also sings on I Put a Spell on You, another cover of an oldie brought to life by this British gentleman of 66 years.
Need I say that Beck's guitar is a constant joy from beginning to end? Emotion&Commotion? Only 41 mintues, but never a dull moment.

By the way: the answer to the question in the previous post is yes. They are engaged to be married...
Peter

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten